Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Accommodations

Before Christmas I had mentioned to Santa Claus that I would like to have a guitar. I had one years ago and had learned to play a little. Well, as it turned out, Santa was good to me.

I decided I was going to try to teach myself, at least at first. The problem was that every time I sat down with the guitar on my lap, it was really uncomfortable. It was really difficult to hold the guitar there and try to play it at the same time.

Yesterday I bought a strap for it. As soon as the strap was on and I put it around me, everything changed. The guitar suddenly became very comfortable. I practiced for more than half an hour and even learned a few new chords. I believe that this one little change is going to make all the difference for me.

That's the way it is for students in school who need accommodations. Often it just takes one little change to make all the difference for that student.

Teachers often complain about all the accommodations they have to make, especially if they have a large number of students who need them. It does sometimes take a lot of extra work. And often accommodations are required for students who don't need them, which often angers already overworked staff.

But all teachers need to remember that when an accommodation is needed, it can make all the difference whether the student is successful or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment