No Name-Calling Week starts in a couple of weeks. After watching television, listening to the radio, and surfing the web, it might help if the adults started setting an example for the students. Just look at the following examples:
1. Sarah Palin called her son Trig, who has Down's Syndrome, retarded. This is according to Levi Johnston (the father of Sarah Palin's grandchild), who Sarah Palin called a liar, fame seeker, and "Rikky Hollywood."
2. Rep. (R) Joe Wilson called President Obama a liar during a speech on health reform.
3. Keith Olbermann called Glenn Beck an "uneducated, imperceptive, panicky whack job."
4. Glenn Beck called President Obama a "Marxist."
5. Rush Limbaugh called called President Obama a "halfrican American" and "Barack the Magic Negro."
6. Rachel Maddow said "the Republican Party are the tea partiers and tea partiers are the Republican Party, they are GOP-baggers, the tea-publicans."
7. Rachel Maddow said Pat Robertson was an "unintended consequence of the First Amendment."
8. Rush Limbaugh called former President Jimmy Carter the "nation's hemorrhoid."
9. President Obama called Kanye West a "jackass."
10. Katy Perry recorded a song titled "UR So Gay."
11. Kanye West's rival, 50 Cent, called Kanye "gay" because of his interest in fashion and design.
12. Numerous tabloids have labeled stars "fat." Stars that have been ridiculed include, but certainly not limited to, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Lopez, Kelly Osborne, and Jessica Simpson. While some may have put on a few pounds, they were anything but fat. It's little wonder so many people have a problem with body image.
These are just a few of the name-calling incidents that have occurred recently. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why children call each other names ... look at the adults they have for role models.
Rachel Maddow Show; January 13, 2009