Friday, January 8, 2010

How I Do The Things I Hate To Do

I hate to clean house. I hate laundry. I hate doing dishes. I hate sweeping, dusting, mopping. And I really hate cleaning the toilet.

But I do them. I even did them this morning. Why? Because I prefer things to be clean rather than dirty. How do I do them? I usually open iTunes on my computer, select a couple hours of my favorite songs, and I go to work. I like the music and it makes doing the jobs I don't like go much faster. It actually makes them enjoyable.

Even Mary Poppins said "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down." Well, the cleaning is my medicine and the music is the sugar.

As students and teachers, anytime you have to do something you don't want to do (homework, paperwork, reports, research), try a little music. If music doesn't work for you, find something that does. Mix the work you don't like with something you do ... a favorite TV show or movie, a few pages of a novel or magazine, or a few minutes on the treadmill. The work will be done before you know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment