Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Action Plan for 2010

Yesterday I listed many of the things I learned in 2009. Today I want to list the items I plan to do in 2010. I don't call them resolutions because if I resolve to do something, and don't, I'll feel bad. If I simply plan to do something, and don't, I can just say it's just postponed until a later time. I won't feel nearly as bad that way.

At school, we were always filing action plans, so my Action Plan for 2010 is as follows:

1. To Accomplish Tasks On Time: As you can see, I've already missed this one. This particular post that I am currently writing should have been done yesterday, but it was a holiday, and so it was postponed until today.

2. To Be Aware: I plan to try to be aware of each and every thing I do. No more mindless eating. No more worrying about things that have happened in the past or things that I think might happen in the future. I plan to be present in the now.

3. To Keep A Cleaner House: I like it when it's clean, it just doesn't happen too often. Cleanliness may be next to Godliness, but a little dirt will keep your immune system healthy. At least, that's what I hear. I should have a really healthy immune system.

4. To Learn To Play Guitar: I used to play a little guitar...very little. But I received a new acoustic guitar for Christmas. I can pick out a few melodies already. There are even lessons on YouTube. Yeah!

5. To Achieve A Healthy Weight: I lost weight during 2009, but still have quite a few pounds to go. I don't want to think of it as dieting or as having to lose weight. I just want to eat healthy, stay on a plan, and be healthy.

6. To Read More: It seems everything I read is non-fiction...newspapers, blogs, directions, magazines, owner's manuals, insurance forms, Internet articles, how-to manuals. I need to read more for enjoyment. Now I'm not saying that an insurance form doesn't provide hours of entertainment ........ oh, yes, I am.

7. To Do More Scrapbooking: Two years ago I organized all my photographs so that I could put them into scrapbooks. I think I finished about 2 pages. This last year I finished 4 or 5 pages. My plan is to put together one page a week. That should be easy, right?

8. To Continue To Exercise: I must exercise everyday. I only missed one day during 2009 and that was New Year's Eve (2 day's ago). I just couldn't work it in that day.

9. To Continue To Meditate: I need that one hour of quiet time everyday. I need it to relax, clear my head, think, pray, connect with the universe, or whatever is necessary for that day.

10. To Continue To Blog: I just started this blog in August. I'm planning to continue it everyday. I'm afraid that if I miss even one day, I may not get back to it. It is something I enjoy, but it is time consuming. Fortunately, I still have a lot of opinions on things.

11. To Continue To Use Social Media: I've read several articles and blogs today that state that Facebook and Twitter are sooooooooo 2009. I hope that's not true. I've really enjoyed reconnecting with old friends and making some new ones. I know that everything changes and I'm sure that social media will change also. Hopefully, it will change for the better.

12. To Learn More and More and More: Students would often ask me "What am I ever going to use this for." I taught math and I would go through the whole spiel about how math is the backbone of everything...that no matter what job they pursued, they would need math. That explanation worked until they reached Algebra. Suddenly, they didn't see how it pertained to anything. We would go through countless examples of how Algebra is used in business, in medicine, in science, in finance, in social studies, and on and on. The immediate response was "I'm not going to do any of those things." The whole truth of the matter is that they were probably right. Right now, teachers are teaching students skills for jobs that don't even exist. When a students asks, "How am I going to use this in my job," the truth is, we don't know. Students need to learn the skills of reading and doing math. They need to learn how to think by studying science and social studies. They need to learn an appreciation for art and music. And hopefully they can take the skills and attitudes they've gained and apply them to any future career that comes along. That's how I feel about what I'm doing now. Even though I'm retired, there is still so much out there to learn. I know I will never learn it all, nor do I have the desire to learn it all, but I want to keep learning all that I can. Every year I learn more. I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store. I'm sure it will be new and exciting. It may even be something that has never existed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment