Friday, June 18, 2010

Prevent Summer Learning Loss ~ Tip #18 ~ Science & Nature

Today I needed to look something up on our county's conservation board website. While there, I found several newsletters with tons of information about the county.

I learned that a cave in one of the nature preserves has been closed due to cases of white-nose syndrome found in bats in a nearby state.

I learned that we have flying squirrels in Iowa, but that since they are nocturnal, we rarely see them. Most people don't even realize they live here.

I learned that the county provides hunter safety and shooting range courses, they have a rock wall for climbing, they have a "nature at night" program where you can experience nature's nightlife with a naturalist, and they have a fishing derby. There is also a parent-tot program with games, stories, crafts, and outdoor fun.

I learned how to troubleshoot tree health.

I learned about a wooded area park (actually a mix of prairie, forest, and wetland) that I didn't even know existed (and now will have to visit).

Go to your county's website and see what is available for you to learn. Once you see all that is available, find something you're interested in and participate. You'll be amazed at what you can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment