For today's tip, I suggest you watch a documentary. Some award-winning films can be found on the Academy Award web page. Recent topics include environmental issues, health, immigration, the economy, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, religion, historical events, culture, and education.
Most of these films are thinking films, meaning they will make you think. Over the summer, that's a good thing. I know that most of us want to get away from thinking during the summer, but if you want to be ready for school in the fall, you have to keep up your critical thinking skills.
So watch a documentary. When finished consider the following:
- Identify your feelings and thoughts about the film
- Is the information credible?
- Evaluate the evidence and alleged facts
- Evaluate the arguments, interpretations, beliefs, theories, and perceptions
- Is the documentary a fair representation of the situation?
- What conclusions do they come to and do you agree?
These and other critical thinking skills can be found at NCREL.