Pi is such an excellent number. Pi Day is just around the corner. Here are the reasons I love it
1. Pi has its own day. March 14th is Pi Day. You get it ... 3/14 (3.14). Cool, huh?
2. Pi has its own song:
3. If you memorize more than two decimal places of pi, people will think you're a mathematical genius. Here are a few: 3.1415926535897
4. There are jokes about pi. What do you get when you cut a jack o'lantern through it's diameter? Pumpkin Pi
5. Pi has it's own movie. Here is the trailer:
6. Without pi, we couldn't have anything round (like cherry pie or pizza pie).
7. Without pi, we wouldn't have trigonometry. That means no waves...no microwaves, no radio waves, no sound waves, no light waves, no x-rays, no surf. Okay, we might have them, but we would have to use degrees instead of radians.
8. Computer calculations of pi allow us to increase our computing power.
9. Pi is totally irrational. That means it cannot be represented exactly as a fraction where the numerator and denominator are integers. It also means that its decimal form never ends and never repeats.
10. There are pi limericks:
There once was a number PiVery special like e and phiCircumference to dIs the ratio for meAnd it's not a multiple of i
Now go and celebrate pi and Pi Day.