Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Procrastination Works for Me

Things I should be doing:
1. Cleaning house
2. Balancing checkbook
3. Paying bills
4. Laundry
5. Dishes
6. Writing a newsletter

Things I have been doing:
1. Blogging
2. Facebook
3. Zoo World on Facebook
4. Watching television
5. Reading a book
6. Twitter

So what is it in me that keeps me from doing what I should be doing? Why do I procrastinate and do activities that are not on my "to do" list?

I have no idea. Maybe it's National Procrastination Week (March 1 - 7)

I do know that I will eventually get the dishes, laundry, cleaning, bills, and that newsletter done. But I do have a bad habit of waiting until I have no choice but to do those tasks. It's a habit that I developed in high school. I was always so overwhelmed with school work, that I couldn't get things done in advance. Everything always got done, but always at the last possible moment. Thank goodness I always had the ability to work under that kind of pressure. Procrastination has always worked for me.

Unfortunately, that is not true of all students. They don't work well under pressure. They are excellent at procrastination, but not very good at finishing things at that last possible moment. When they get overwhelmed, they fall apart, instead of tackling the tasks one at a time.

One thing that parents and teachers could do for students is to teach them time management. Help them to understand their own work habits and modify them, if necessary, so that they can get everything done they need to do. And as it turns out, some actually work better when they procrastinate and work under pressure.




No comments:

Post a Comment