Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Play Outside

It really felt like spring today. Sunny. Warm. It reminded me of when I was a kid and we had that first spring day when we could play outside without a coat.

At dinner tonight my husband and I were talking about the things we did on that first day. Our list included bicycling, tag, hula hoops, pogo sticks, hide and seek, jump rope, flying kites, and many others. We were outside from the time we got home from school until it got dark or it was bedtime, whichever came first. We played and played and at bedtime we were tired and slept well.

I was trying to think of the last time I saw kids outside playing. Occasionally one rides past the house on a bicycle, but that's it. It's little wonder kids today are obese and have all the health-related problems that go along with that obesity. They don't seem to play outside.

I think a little more fresh air and fun outside could go a long way to solve the childhood obesity epidemic. Find something outside that you like to do.......then do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment