Saturday, March 6, 2010

Global Warming ~ It's in the Stars?

I was amazed by the South Dakota legislature and a declaration they made concerning the teaching of global warming in their schools. Besides making sure that it is taught as a theory, rather than fact, they included the following statement:
That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect [sic] world weather phenomena and that the significance and interrelativity of these factors is largely speculative
First, I'm hoping that they confused astrology with astronomy. Many people do that, but you would think that in a legal declaration, someone would have noticed. If they actually meant astrology, it would be interesting to hear their explanation as to how the zodiac has influenced global warming.

Second, thermology is a medical imaging procedure that uses infrared to see inside the human body. Again, I'm assuming they meant geothermal, but again, you would think someone would have noticed.

Third, I believe "effect" is a noun, as in "special effects." Again, I think the word they wanted is "affect."

And last, I have no idea what "interrelativity" is. Were they referring to relativity theory by Einstein or did they mean "interrelationship?"

Having been a public school teacher for a lot of years, I've always favored public education. I also know that it has had problems especially in some areas of the country.

However, if these legislators were the product of public education, it's a whole lot worse than anyone could have imaged.

(I believe their legislation was amended the next day.)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment