Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sick Without Worry

I woke up this morning still coughing and sneezing. My eyes are watering and I feel lousy.

But this is the first time I've been sick since I retired and I discovered something. It is a completely liberating feeling to be able to be sick without having to call in to tell someone. I didn't have to decide whether to go in to work or stay home. I didn't have to call the substitute service. I didn't have to make sure my lesson plans were turned into the office. And I don't have to worry about a pile of paperwork accumulating while I'm home.

I'm able to be sick without any worries. And that's kind of a wonderful feeling. I still feel lousy, but not as lousy.

There's only one thing I miss and that's 150 sympathetic students asking me if I'm okay and telling me that it's all right if I want to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment