Sunday, February 21, 2010

8 Quotes by Aristotle on Education


Aristotle lived from 384 BC to 322 BC. A Greek philosopher, he was a student of Plato and teacher of Alexander the Great. Below are eight beliefs he held concerning education. It is not surprising that his teachings are still studied 2400 years later.
  1. All men by nature desire knowledge.
  2. Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity.
  3. Education is the best provision for old age.
  4. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
  5. The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the dead.
  6. The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.
  7. The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
  8. Those who educate children well are more to be honored than they who produce them; for these only gave them life, those the art of living well.

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading a lot about Aristotle and I really find him inspiring. Aristotle quotes are really good, that's why I even search all of his quotes. Thanks for sharing the collection of his quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where and in what year did Aristotle quote "The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet" I've been trying to find this everywhere for an essay I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anonymous: I don't think I can answer your question. I can only tell you that it appears Aristotle lived in various places in Greece from 384 BC - 322 BC. The quote was recorded in "Lives of the Philosophers" by Diogenes Laertius who probably lived in the early part of the 3rd century (222-235 AD ?). That would be about about 500 years after Aristotle died, so the knowledge of when and where may be lost. I wish I could find more information for you. I'll keep looking and if I find anything, I'll post it here.

    ReplyDelete