Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Be Considerate

I've been playing some games on Facebook. One of them in particular puts out a lot of posts. Other friends I have who also play the game enjoy all the posts. They can click on them and add to their zoo or their farm. They can get gifts and earn game "dollars." It has been great fun.

However, in all the fun, I forgot that many friends don't play these games. The posts clog their newsfeed and it must be quite annoying for them. It's one of those things I didn't even think about until someone complained.

There is a way for them to hide the posts, thank goodness. But I really felt bad. I had been having so much fun that I was oblivious to how inconsiderate I was being.

I finally posted a message as to how they can hide all the farm implements and zoo animals that keep showing up for them. I hope it helps. The last thing I want to do is be annoying.

This is a great lesson for many other areas of our lives as well. We can be having a great time, but we forget how irritating some of the things we do can be to others.

This is especially true of teachers. Often a teacher will plan an activity that turns out to be quite annoying to nearby classrooms. Without thinking, the teacher has planned an interesting, fun lesson for the students that, quite frankly, irritates other teachers beyond belief.

Everything we do has consequences. We always need to be considerate and think about these things before we do them. If something has the potential to bother others, let them know in advance so that they can plan around it. If there is a way to resolve the situation, let them know. If no solution exists, work with them to find one. It's the considerate thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment