Thursday, December 10, 2009

Make Memories with Your Children

I was watching the video today of the spiraling light in the sky over Norway. They determined it was a faulty Russian missile launch, but it sure put on a show and got a lot of people's attention. Explanations ranged from a UFO to aurora borealis to a wormhole through space.

It reminded me of a time when I was about 7 or 8 years old. It was summertime and my mom, dad, brother, and I were sitting out in the front yard enjoying the night sky. Off to the north, a bright light suddenly appeared. It kept getting bigger and bigger.

We watched it for a long time. I'm not sure if my dad knew what it actually was, but he acted as if he didn't. He played along with the UFO theme. He would say things like, "Did you see that? It just got brighter." "I think it's going away. Oh no, I was wrong, it's getting closer again." "I think I can hear it now. Yes, I can and it's getting louder." "Look, the lights are starting to flash." "Maybe it will land nearby."

The more he talked the more frightened I became. He kept assuring me that no matter what it was, there was nothing to be scared of.

The "UFO" did keep getting closer and closer. The flashing lights kept getting brighter and brighter. It kept getting louder and louder. Finally, it got close enough that we could see what it was...a helicopter. And the lights? They were a flashing marquee that read, "EAT HILAND POTATO CHIPS!"

Of all things...an advertisement. I can remember how relieved I was, how happy I was that it was something familiar. But best of all, I remember the happy memory of that summer evening spent with my family.

Every family needs these kinds of memories. I think too often families today are all running off in different directions. So my helpful hint for today is that families plan to spend some time together every week. Have meals together, plan a family game night, go to a movie together, or just sit and talk to one another. Make some memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment