Friday, December 4, 2009

8 Benefits of Technology

Last week I wrote a post about "8 Dangers of Technology." One of the comments I received suggested I also write about 8 positive effects of technology. I think it's only fair that I balance the negative with the positive.

First, let me say that there are many more than eight benefits of technology. However, here are the eight that affect me most.

1. Technology allows me to write this blog. It gives me a chance to give advice and the opportunity to vent. It also gives me the chance to read the blogs of others for an ever increasing source of information. It allows me to communicate with the world.

2. Technology allows me to renew old acquaintances and make new ones on Facebook and Twitter. I would guess that at least 25% of my graduating class is on Facebook. It's been really fun renewing those friendships. Only a few friends are on Twitter, but I've been meeting more and more people there all the time.

3. Although retired, I still like to keep up with educational topics. Google Reader allows me to keep up on the latest technology in education. I've been able to share some of it with other teachers through social bookmarking sites like Delicious and on social media sites.

4. Technology has allowed me to blog, tweet, email, and surf the Internet, not just through my computer, but through my phone. I was at Walmart this morning and was able to let everyone on Facebook and Twitter know that it was snowing. I'm guessing no one cared that it was snowing, but it was fun being able to let everyone know.

5. I used to get most of my information from books, magazines, and newspapers. While I still read these, they only make up a small portion of my information sources. Now I use the Internet. I can get all the latest news, weather, sports, fashion, music, and get it in real time.

6. Technology allows me to keep better tabs on my finances. I can check bank account balances and investment values any time I want.

7. Most of my shopping experiences have changed since I've started buying online. I still go to the store for groceries, but the Internet allows me to purchase whatever I need. When I do go to the stores in town (most are discount stores), they rarely have the item I need. That never or rarely happens online.

8. And finally, the technology I grew up with has been made better. The old black and white CRT television is now an LCD flat screen HDTV. The transistor radio that I listened to all night is now XM satellite. Old vinyl records became 8-tracks became cassettes became CDs became songs downloaded to computers and MP3 players or iPods.

It is a wonderful technological world. If all this has happened in my lifetime, imagine what the future could hold for today's students. It's mind-boggling.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent list! For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ^_^

    ReplyDelete