Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Case for Plan B (Having Alternative Lesson Plans)


Today has been one of those days. My computers always automatically back up on Thursday morning, but not this morning. The error messages stated that the backup drives couldn't be found. I finally discovered that the USB connection had come out of the one computer. I have no idea what was wrong with the other one, but I was able to back them both up tonight.

The second problem this morning was that, for some reason, the retweet feature on Twitter had disappeared. I checked and found that others were having the same problem, so I felt better knowing it wasn't something I had done.

Next, no emails were coming in on my Blackberry. I turned it off and back on several times, and a few emails came through once. Again, I assumed it was something I had done, but when I finally got on the computer tonight, I discovered that the problem was nationwide. The articles I read said the problem had been fixed, and I did get a few more emails, but now none have come through for an hour or so. That's not normal.

As for tonight, I was going to update this blog, but Google Chrome wouldn't connect with the Internet. AOL Desktop would only start up and immediately close, again. I finally signed on with old faithful AOL 9.5.

So, it's been quite a technologically disastrous day. Once again, it started me thinking that if I had planned to use any of these technologies in my lesson plans, I would have been pretty upset, to say the least. I would advocate that whenever you plan to use the Internet or computers or cell phones or social media that you always have other plans ready. A reading assignment, a worksheet, a writing assignment, a discussion question...it doesn't matter. Just have a Plan B because it seems with technology, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment