Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mashpedia

A few days ago I was reading a blog called Free Technology For Teachers. The authors were discussing a new website called Mashpedia. It is called "the real-time encyclopedia" and, although it is not a typical search engine, it will give a variety of results for the subject of your search.

Of course, I had to try it out. Since today is Cinco de Mayo, I went to Mashpedia and typed in "cinco de mayo." Oh my, it is truly an amazing website. The page resulted in video from YouTube, information from Wikipedia, stories from Digg, tweets from Twitter, images from Flickr, news articles from variety of sources, blog articles, more images, and a selection of books and websites. I had all these links and all this information on one web page right at my fingertips.

A few hours later I did the same search. Some of the information was the same, but much had changed. New blogs had been posted and new tweets had been written, and the information is constantly updated.

I was thinking how wonderful this would be for students doing research. To have all these sources with just one search is like a researchers dreams come true.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment