Friday, May 7, 2010

It's Easier to Keep Up

When I was teaching, there were several bad habits students had that annoyed me. One of them was not turning in their work on time.

I don't know how many times I would ask a student why they weren't turning in their assignments. Of course there were a variety of excuses, but one that happened way more often than it should have was that they simply weren't done with it. Some of these students would have one or two weeks worth of assignments stuffed in their notebooks, none of them finished. The students had started every assignment (many were almost complete), but the students didn't want to turn it in until they were completely done with it. So there they were, with five to ten assignments all in various stages of completion, with no credit for any of it because it had never been turned in.

Well, this week, I have been doing the same thing. I have started writing blog posts everyday all week, but I didn't finish any of them. I always expected my students to turn their assignments in on time, finished or not. I should follow the same advice for myself. I will try to do better in the future.

By the way, they are all published now. My advice to students (and to myself) ... it's much easier to keep up than catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment