Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tell Someone, Anyone, Everyone

When I was in kindergarten, I remember my teacher telling me, "Don't be a tattletale." I don't remember what I had told her (or how many times I had tattled), but I do remember her response. Of course, that was over 50 years ago. My, how times have changed.

Today, students should never have to worry about tattling or "ratting" on someone. In fact, they should be encouraged to do so...whatever it is. If students see bullying or are bullied, if they see someone doing something illegal, if they see someone cheating, if they or someone they know is a victim of abuse or some other crime, they must tell someone. Tell a teacher, a parent, a minister, a policeman, or someone else in authority. And don't take "no" for an answer. If the teacher doesn't do anything, tell another teacher. If that doesn't help, tell your parents. Just make sure you're telling someone who can do something about the problem. If your teachers can't help, tell your parents. If they can't help, tell your minister or a police officer.

Students may feel helpless in these situations. Those that feel helpless might feel that the only way to handle the situation is with violence. But violence often ends up being a permanent solution for what may be a temporary problem. The solution is to tell someone. Be a tattletale. Be a tattletale until the problem is solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment