Friday, November 20, 2009

Decisions. Decisions.

I was watching Oprah today as she made her announcement that she would be doing only one more season of her show. She was in tears, but said she knew it was time. It felt right.

For anyone making a major decision in their lives, I think this is how you know if you're doing the right thing. It will feel like you're doing the right thing. When I made the decision to retire a couple of years ago, there was no doubt in my mind that it was the right decision. I knew I would miss the kids. I knew I would miss the people I worked with. I knew that I would miss the math. But I also knew that it was time to let it go.

I'm not sure I could tell anyone how I knew, but I knew it was right. I've done this with most major decisions in my life and my feelings and intuition have never steered me wrong.

I believe that with any major decision, from choosing a college or career to choosing where to live to choosing (or not choosing) a partner, you can almost feel if the decision is a good one. Yes, you should weigh the advantages and disadvantages of your decision, but in the end, you'll choose it because it feels right for you.

If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. It's either the wrong decision or the wrong time to make that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment