Friday, August 28, 2009

Learn By Doing

I can go to a lot of concerts and watch fantastic musicians, but when I get home, I'm not going to be able to play the guitar, drums, or piano. I can go to every high school, college, and professional football game, but I will never be able to play football. I'll never be a musician or a football player or anything else by watching other people, only by practicing it myself.

The same is true of subjects in school. Math is learned by practicing problems. Research is learned by doing research. Writing is learned by writing. Language is learned by speaking and reading the language. Students cannot become skilled in these areas by watching the teacher do them. Students have to practice these skills on their own. That's what school work and homework is all about.

Great musicians and sports figures spend hours and hours perfecting their skills. Great students do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment